My head has been all aflutter lately, not much focus, kind of like a cat watching dust balls and seeing something shiny go by. Sitting down to write a comprehensive blog post seems beyond me right now, so I thought I would just share some random "goings on" and things and stuff on the mind of the Canucka.
1. I'm officially a professional writer! A lovely Canadian woman in Oaxaca contacted me about writing something for About.com and I gladly accepted. I've never considered myself a writer, I just think through my keyboard, but thankfully I have changed my tune and may actually be at the beginning of something that could help us out financially. Check out my first piece of writing with my photos, "A Guide to the Beaches of Cancun and the Riviera Maya."
2. It's almost my birthday! That's right, I'm about to be older. One year older in fact. Sunday March 15th I'll be turning 38, recovering from a hangover from Saturday night's celebration and hopefully hitting the beach. It's a long weekend here, sadly not to celebrate my birthday, but I'll take that free Monday as part of my present. (And a happy birthday to K.W. who shares the same cumpleaños!)
3. Twitter. OH man Twitter. It's unbelievably addictive. I'm using Tweetdeck which allows me to follow a whack o' twitterers and do searches for specific terms etc.. Too much fun watching the column that shows me every tweet with the word "Cancun" in it. Such a wide range of comments, some simply "In Cancun, it ROCKS HARD" to "Don't go to Cancun, 10 tourists were killed this week". Very amusing to be a voyeur.
4. The cats are getting fat. I mean, really fat. I finally discovered that Max has been "helping" by putting food in their dish whenever it was empty. He's so proud of himself, how can I scold him for that? No wonder they are following him around like he's carrying sardines in his pocket.
5. High season. Cancun lives and breathes by tourism and the energy around town changes when the tourists really start to pack it in. This week is the busiest week of the year and you can feel it when out and about. There are tourists everywhere! (Easily spotted by their glowing white pastiness or the lobster-red sunburns). I will be avoiding the hotel zone at all costs (except to possibly visit my friend in Pok ta Pok which I still don't consider part of the HZ for some reason).
6. Preschool. We just got Max's "grades" back from this month's exams. "Bien" in Spanish, "Excelente" in Culture and English and "Regular" in math. He still skips "13" when counting in both languages, it's getting creepy. He got into double trouble at school this week though. I picked him up one day and he had a huge scratch down his forehead and across his eye. The teacher said he was jumping on his chair and fell off. When they asked him what happened, he said he cut himself with a knife at home! So, goofing off and lying about it, what a little sh*t! But oh yeah, we're focusing on the positive, ahem, so good job on the exams kiddo.
Well, that's probably enough randomness for now, I could go on all day about news events, family stuff, dogs in the street, flat tires and sleeping with a four year old on my back, but I will leave it at that. Going to find my center and breathe deep. Or, find out what people on Twitter are saying about, oh, I don't know, monkeys.
I'm currently sitting in my Cancun apartment, staving off the Covid 19 panic and using all my Jungle Kelly powers to maintain my cal...
Happy Mother's Day, Feliz dia de las Mamas! It's one of those odd years where the Mexican Mother's Day falls on the same day as...
Lost Mayan Kingdom Mahahual Our recent Mother/Son Road Trip was such a blast and a big part of it was our day at Lost Mayan Kingd...
If you are a regular in the Mexican blogosphere, you know that Rivergirl wrote of this topic today and Gabatcha shared her thoughts on this ...